Blood pressure - How Low Is Dangerous?

Blood pressure (BP) is the pressure of circulating blood on the walls of blood vessels. Normal resting blood pressure in an adult is approximately 120 millimeters of mercury (16 kPa) systolic, and 80 millimeters of mercury (11 kPa) diastolic, abbreviated “120/80 mmHg”.

Usually, a blood pressure reading lower than 90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) for the top number (systolic) or 60 mm Hg for the bottom number (diastolic) is generally considered low blood pressure.

It should be noticed that a blood pressure reading lower than 80 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) for the top number (systolic) or 60 mm Hg for the bottom number (diastolic) will cause shock.

Besides, the sudden fall of blood pressure is also dangerous. A change of 20 mm Hg- a drop from 100 systolic to 80 mm Hg systolic, for example, will cause dizziness and fainting, breath difficult, chest tightness and shock.

* The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.