What Are the Facts About Hemorrhagic Stroke?

Q:

Are there statistics or facts about stroke?

A:

  • Nearly 8000,000 people in the U.S have a stroke every year, with about three in four being first-time strokes.
  • Stroke is the No.5 cause of death in the U.S, killing nearly 130,000 people a year. It means that stroke kill one in every 20 patients.
  • Stroke is one of the leading causes of long-term disability.
  • More women than men have strokes each year
  • 87% of strokes are classified as ischemic. An ischemic stroke occurs when a clot or a mass blocks a blood vessel, cutting off blood flow to a part of the brain
  • Every 45 seconds someone has a stroke in the U.S
  • Ischemic strokes account for 87% of all strokes, while the other 13% are hemorrhagic strokes.
  • Up to 70% strokes seen in the hospital are ischemic, while the remaining 30% are a mixture of transient ischemic attacks and hemorrhagic strokes

Q:

How could people live with stroke?

A:

  • 30% needed assistance to walk
  • 26% needed help with activities such as cooking, feeding, and paying their bills
  • 19% has trouble speaking, or understanding others when they speak
  • 35% had feelings of depression
  • 50% had some degree of paralysis on one side of the body
  • 26% became nursing home residents

 

Keywords: facts hemorrhagic stroke, facts hemorrhagic strokes

 

 

Related FAQ:

What Causes Hemorrhagic Stroke?

What’s the Best Rx to Prevent Stroke in Atrial Fibrillation?

 

* The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.