What Is Toxic Shock Syndrome and What Causes It?

Q:
What is toxic shock syndrome and what causes it?

A:
Toxic shock syndrome is a rare but serious medical condition of a bacterial infection. It’s caused by the release of poisonous substances from an overgrowth of bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus, or staph.

Most commonly, Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria cause toxic shock syndrome. The syndrome can also be caused by group A streptococcus (strep) bacteria.

* The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.